Wednesday 31 December 2014

THE ROLE OF CHEMISTRY


You were right Antonio Ontiveros! A few days ago, apropos of my letter to Santa, you told me:

“We don’t have to reject advantages but, when something hurts, you can just think of getting better.”

On Boxing Day an ear infection reminded me what pain is and what medicines are useful for. As soon as the pharmaceutical gave me the medicine I rushed home to gobble them down with the anxiety of an addict. I fell asleep, wrapped in a hundred thousand blankets and made up sleep lost during the last night.

And when I woke up the pain was gone. I would have kissed the feet of him who invented painkillers and even the filthy overall of the first person who ground the prescription ingredients in a mortar.

I wish to thank all those who spend their hours searching for a remedy against pain. The greed of big pharmaceutical companies often undermines their work. Yet business and vocation are different things, even nowadays.
 

 

 
 
 
Copyright Luisa Fernández Baladrón

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment