Sunday 14 December 2014

A LETTER TO SANTA

Children get really bored when they have to repeat. This is why we transform the most difficult words into passwords when we have to teach them. I point at their eyes with a hand-held torch (a gift of Mr. Meyer, of “Es Fangar”) and I say “new password”... and add the longest word I can think of at the time: hot-air balloon, rollerskating, fire engine.  

Kids love it. So much, that I have sometimes used full sentences, such as “I like oranges”, “fruit is healthy” or “apples are crunchy”. The current password is “a letter to Santa”. In fact we have promised to write to the plump version of Saint Nicholas de Bari which was invented by a freeze drink some years ago.

Amid this climate I have started to feel tempted to write my own letter. I don’t mean the perfect one that a “Miss Universe” would read in her appointment (I want the peace in the woooooorld), but a childish, long list. I want this, and this, and this, and this, and this, and this...

It is a pleasure to dispose of the funds of the European Bank in good times, even if this only happens in our imagination. I have been able to ask for a helicopter to fly from time to time to the mainland.

After all, dreaming is free. Why shouldn’t we do it from time to time?

A big hug from Palma



 
 
 
Copyright Luisa Fernández Baladrón

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment